Saturday, November 30, 2019

Indefinite Removal of Posts

For the past few years, I’ve been debating what I should do about my posts on this blog.

Since attending the Social Justice Research Academy back in 2016, I’ve continued trying to educate myself about social justice, learning about histories of injustices and about frameworks of justice that have been excluded throughout most of my education in schools while unlearning capitalist, colonialist, cisheteropatriarchical, white supremacist, and other oppressive ways of thinking. 

In doing so, I realized that my posts, as well as the ideas and arguments contained within them, support and uphold these unjust systems that have oppressed and continue to oppress people who hold marginalized identities, especially Black, Indigenous, and POC communities, as well as the logics associated with these oppressive systems that attempt to justify continued violence against peoples while erasing the histories of violence that society, particularly for those who hold positions of relative power and privilege, no longer deem morally acceptable. They reflect my prior ignorance of historical injustices as well as of oppressive systems, as a result of having received sanitized versions of history in schools and from dominant forms of media that glorified colonialist histories.

Furthermore, I recognize that it is especially harmful that I presented the ideas under the appearance of supporting social justice, when in reality they were actually antithetical to the causes. I’ve been reflecting on the best course of action to go about redressing the forms of injustices I've contributed to, and I’ve decided on the following actions, while providing the reasoning behind each of them. 

First, I’ve decided to indefinitely remove the harmful content to prevent further harm to minoritized communities and demonstrate that I absolutely reject those ideas. 

I have also decided to include this reflection as a way to name and acknowledge the ways in which I perpetuated injustices and to not contribute to erasure of unjust histories. 

Finally, I would like to apologize to the communities who my ideas undermined, and affirm my commitment to keep educating myself about and support social justice efforts, as well as stand in solidarity with marginalized peoples.

1 comment: