Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Getting Ready

My Ivy League Connection experience has officially begun! I have spent the last few days making sure that I am completely prepared for my trip to Philadelphia. This consists of a lot of packing, planning, and a bit of shopping. 

The preparation began with a trip to Target with my mom to get all of the things that I will need for the next three weeks. We purchased everything from Twin XL sheets, to a surge protector, to a robe and flip flops. I needed all of it to be ready for dorm life. Of course, I would also be borrowing some items from the Ivy League Connection, which Don dropped off for me. I also received an email from Don giving us all of the details of departure day and some advice about how to get ready.

Packing my bags was the most tedious task that had to be completed before setting off. It was a process that took me several days, making sure that I was being as efficient as possible and not forgetting anything important. I had a lot of stuff to fit into a suitcase, a duffel bag, and a backpack, but I managed. Carrying all of my luggage around won't be fun, as it turned out to be pretty heavy, but it will be worth it!

Prep also included getting ready mentally and physically for the upcoming weeks. I took Don's tip and tried to relax as much as possible in the days before departure day, so that I would feel well rested the morning of. After all, I did have to be up at three in the morning, and wanted to make sure I was sharp enough for the packed schedule that we have in the first few days!

I am really looking forward to the trip. I know that it will be an amazing experience to get to travel to the East Coast for the first time, and I am excited to spend time in not only Philadelphia, but New York and DC as well. The first few days, in which we're taking planes and buses all over the place and waking up very early, should be interesting. But I really enjoy traveling, and I know me and my cohort will take it in stride.

I'm not sure exactly what to expect from the course and the UPenn summer program itself, but from what I've heard, it's going to be very enriching and educational. I feel as though the Ivy League Connection has definitely prepared me for what is to come, so my nerves have actually faded as the trip has gotten closer. I'm ready to get going and take on challenges such as weather, jet lag, homesickness, and workload. In exchange, I will be able to see and do new things and get a preview of what college will be like at an Ivy League University. 

No comments:

Post a Comment